5 Tips To Prevent Electrical Accidents at Home

Electrical wiring is all over your household. Everywhere from being tucked behind the walls and within all of your gadgets and appliances driving power all over the place. A single jolt can shake you up and deliver a serious shock to your body. Along with that, it only needs one serious shock to burn a house to the ground.
An electricity-based accident can deliver serious physical and monetary harm. You want to avoid such issues, not just for your sake but also for the people around you. Let us explore the top five tips that can help you prevent electrical accidents around your home.

Keep water away from electricity

It is very important that you keep your wiring and electrical appliances away from water, no matter if they are turned off or on. If an appliance manages to find its way into the water, do not try to retrieve it or unplug it as it can deliver a massive shock to you. Make your way to the main electric supply board and shut down power to the area. Once done, you can now retrieve the appliance and have it evaluated by an electrician to see if it is safe for use again.

Update wiring

Along with your regular cleaning efforts, keep an eye on your wiring. Make sure to replace any old wiring after a while. For instance, if your house is more than 20-25 years old, and you have never updated your wiring, you may be living with a very hazardous setup. Old setups usually have crumbling insulation or frayed wiring which usually melts down when too much electricity is passed through.

Pay attention to your appliances

When an appliance starts to repeatedly trip up your circuit breaker or blow up fuses, it is not a mere coincidence. It points to an issue with your wiring. Avoid any major issues by discontinuing the use of said appliance until you can have a professional emergency electrician sydney assess the situation.

Avoid overloading the outlets

Cube taps and other extensions might pose convenience for your use, but they may also put you on the fast track to an accident or a fire. Understand how much power can one-receptacle handle and the requirement of the appliances that you plug in, which should exceed the capability of the receptacle.

Cover them up

Having kids can liven up a household, but any parent would agree that you need to work very hard to take care of them. They don’t know about many things, hence they try to touch it to understand it. No matter if an outlet is powered off or on, it is dangerous in both states. Use outlet covers to keep them safe and avoid any major accident.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *